Articulated Hellgrammite II
Tied by: Bill Trublubug Southeastern PA, US
Bill Trublubug

Bill Trublubug
4 years ago

Just a brown version. I see both black and brown colored "mites" depending on my location. Think these are going to give the Delaware River smallmouth a bad summer.

Perry Clark
4 years ago

Awesome fly

Martin Fabricius
4 years ago

Very creative! Well tied my friend

Matt Hawkins
4 years ago

What are the legs are made of?

Bill Trublubug
4 years ago

Thanks Martin. It was fun to carry this off. Matt, the legs are simply pieces of colored fly line backing tied in between the beads with a knot. You get a leg on each side that way. You can just cut them to length or you can "frizz" them up a bit and trim them afterwards. Check out the first hellgrammite I posted to see the legs "frizzed".

Joey Cleveland
4 years ago

Unreal. It's great how the best flies aren't always the hardest to tie, just the most creative with the materials at hand. Definitely stealing this one Bill, awesome tie

Bill Trublubug
4 years ago

Thanks Joey. I'm betting it's going to catch us both a lot of fish.

Bill Trublubug
4 years ago

Just a note. Check out Nick Bertrand's Cohen Creature Hellgrammite posted here. Didn't know about these precut suede hellgrammite bodies when I started thinking about an articulated fly. They look pretty good and certainly would make really short work of tying a flexible hellgrammite.

Matt Hawkins
4 years ago

Have you tried rubber legs in overhand knots instead of backing?

Bill Trublubug
4 years ago

Yes Matt, rubber legs were my first thought. I couldn't keep the knots tight though. Once I clipped the rubber to length, the legs seemed to almost unknot themselves with any small attempts to adjust them. I also tried some flash material I had. I think the rubber legs would be great and add a lot of movement. If you find a way to use them, let me know.

Matt Hawkins
4 years ago

Maybe glue the knot? I use silicon bass skirts usually and super glue doesn't seem to melt them like rubber

Bill Trublubug
4 years ago

Good suggestion Matt. As usual we're on the same page. I had tried the gluing using silicon instead of rubber. It does work but there's a trade off at least in my hands. When I added the tiniest drop of glue these old hands could manage, it still got on the braided core holding the beads. That made the braid stiff and I lost a lot of movement in the extended abdomen. The legs do add some motion but I think I prefer the whole abdomen to move more freely. It's the horizontal movement that seems most impeded, not the side to side. Maybe you have better control than I do with the glue.

Joao montangha
4 years ago

Wow

Michael Anthony
4 years ago

Wow

Michael Anthony
4 years ago

Very nice

Please sign in or sign up to comment on this fly...

Uploaded 4 years ago
Views 468
Likes 26
Comments 14
Flyboxes 0